Tuesday, November 11, 2008

For Public Consumption?: Week #2 (November 1, 2008)

Week two was the week that ideas for this little adventure really started to come into focus. I had enjoyed last week's pie making and was starting to entertain some thoughts of really getting into the nuts and bolts of making a decent pie.

It took my daughter exactly one week (probably less) to realize that her father had lost his mind. Ok, maybe it didn't take her a week, she was already well aware that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. So, after a single excursion together, I was already without a baking partner. It's just as well, she was holding me back with her calm demeanor and rational approach. Everyone knows that a genius pie maker has to be at least a little bit off-center. Now she won't be cramping my style I can really... rely on my wife's advice for every move that I make in the kitchen.

Seriously, you would think that by the time you reach my age I'd be able to make a decision for myself. Let's just agree to pretend that I like to bounce ideas off of other people, collaborate to acquire the best available information, and weigh my options before making any rash decisions. But, deep down inside we'll also acknowledge that I'm an inveterate coward. Apparently my cowardice extends to the culinary arts. Maybe baking pies will turn me into Gordon Ramsey (I doubt that he's been accused recently of lacking confidence), but I have my doubts.

On to the pie.

We were having Sunday lunch over at a friend's house and needed to bring something with a a contribution to the meal. Brilliant! A perfect opportunity to make and share this week's pie.

This week turned out to be French Silk week (see the recipe here).  I cheated on the crust for this one (I've already heard about how important that making the crust is to the integrity of the process, so don't pile on.  I'm working up to it) and used a pre-made graham cracker crust.  The filling preparation was actually pretty easy I thought.  I was a little bit disappointed when all was said and done that the filling was kind of thin (not thin in consistency, but thin in lining the crust), but after garnishing with some whipped cream I think it actually turned our reasonably well.  

I'm not a huge chocolate freak (I know, what's the matter with me blah, blah, blah.  Chocolate = Heaven, blah, blah, blah), so I can't say that I loved this pie.  I did, however, enjoy making it.  I hadn't really thought too much about the variety of techniques employed in making something that in the end we categorize as pie.  There are pies served warm, cold, frozen.  There are pies with a double crust, single crust, different types of crusts, and even more variations.  Some pies you bake the crust only and allow the filling to set, others you bake both together, etc., etc.  This particular pie was interesting to me simply because it was a departure from last weeks, if for no other reason.  Both of those pies had to be baked, while this one, all of the preparation was done up front and then assembled to set up over night.  Just as interesting, and fun, but different.

Good things:
  • I got to learn some new techniques, including for melting baking chocolate.
  • No Cool-Whip.  Real whipped cream made with heavy whipping cream no matter what some people may think
  • I had a great time making it
Not so good things:
  • I still leaned really heavily on my wife for direction.  I think I'll learn more by just experimenting and taking some chances and I'll try to do that in the future
  • The granulated sugar didn't seem to completely dissolve in the preparation and so the filling tasted good but was a bit "gritty"
  • Used a purchased crust (loser!)
All in all it was an edible pie (that's a win in my book).  My ex-partner ate two pieces, so it couldn't have been too bad -- she's as fussy as they come.  More importantly, this week convinced me that I could have a really good time with this and put me on the path to not just baking pies, but creating the blog you're reading right now.

On to the next...

No comments: