Thursday, November 18, 2010

Number 17

If the name of this post is any evidence, I am acutely aware of the countdown as I slowly approach "done" on my pie-making venture. And yet, I am finding that there is something about it all that I really missed during my hiatus. I guess that for me there is some comfort in the repetitive acts of selecting and creating pies every week.

Mocha

I made a mocha pie at the request of a frequent pie eater at work.



This pie is difficult for me to rank as I am currently on a self-imposed, restricted diet that did not allow me to taste the pie -- therefore the difficulty. So, its rank will be based on feedback received, which was generally positive, visual appeal, and my own perception of the execution.

Overall, I was pleased with the end product, but there were, as always, a few miscues worth noting. Namely:
  • I made too much graham cracker crust for the pie plate that I ended up using. That plate is eight and one-half inches in diameter rather than nine, and so the resulting crust was awfully thick.
  • Based on the feedback, the coffee flavor was not very prominent (keep in mind that some of the eaters are coffee junkies). If I were to make this recipe again, I would incorporate additional espresso powder -- likely in both the main filling and the whipped cream topping


All in all, I think it was a good pie, and a smooth transition back to being in the game. One more ramp up weekend to come, and then the pressure of Thanksgiving week pie(s) begins. I am anticipating knocking several of the still remaining sixteen off over the next couple of weeks. I am looking forward to it.

2 comments:

AP said...

I miss pie club!!

Simple Simon said...

@AP - Pie Club misses you, too