Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Blame it on Tiger and Phil

What do you think? Is this the way Coconut Custard Pie is supposed to look?



Apparently I am going to stick with the "they can't all turn out great" theme for at least a little while longer. All was well with this recipe, at least until I got to the part about broil, about 3 or 4 inches away from heat, for two to four minutes. The pie even looked pretty good, if reminiscent of the custard pie that I did not have the palate to enjoy as much as the resident foodie.

The other recurring theme of this blog seems to be that I aint really good too many smarts. Enter Tiger and Phil.

I had to make a pie on the last day of the pie cycle this week, in other words on Saturday. I whipped up the usual crust and coconut custard pretty easily. The finishing touches were supposed to applied on Sunday, as based on the recipe "before serving..." That means it is quick and easy, right?

You would have thought so, but this was the juncture at which my lack of focus/intelligence kicked in. Hard.

But, really, who can resist a good final day at the Masters? And even more, a dual between Tiger and Phil? Ok, it didn't end up to be the day to remember that either one of them may have hoped, but the drama sure was fun while it lasted. What, you may ask, does this have to do with pie? Well, who can honestly be expected to pay attention to the broiling of pie topping when heavyweights are trading blows in high definition? Needless to say, do not expect it from me. The suggested two to four minutes turned into five. Which, as can be seen from the result, is long enough for the sugar/coconut mixture to ignite, but not long enough to run out of fuel. At least I got to see the flames!

So, not my finest hour as a pie baker. But, we were able to peel off some of the burned parts and still eat some of the custard. It wasn't too bad, but not quite fit for public consumption. As always, there's next week.


Also

I still have not made the dark chocolate, peanut, caramel pie that I have been blathering about for the last month. And so, I am still running six days behind the usual schedule. One of these weekends I have to make two to get caught up. Maybe this will be the weekend.

Whether I get caught up this weekend or not, the next pie on the list is by request once again: Margarita. This time, the request even came with a recipe attached. We shall see what Martha has in store.

No comments: